Sunday, July 3, 2011

Sunday Brunch...for the love of blueberries

Good Mornin' Everyone!

Summertime is here...yaaaay! For me that means enjoying some delicious recipes made with all the fresh fruits of the season. Blueberries are one of my favorite berries so this morning I'm sharing an amazing Blueberry Pecan French Toast Cassarole recipe. I found tastely little treat in my Vera Bradley Cookbook, which is my absolute favorite source for home cooking, along with Southern Living of course.



**Side note for this recipe - The bread needs to soak in the egg/milk/brown sugar mixture up to 8 hours so plan ahead!

Ingredients:

French bread baguette
6 large eggs
1 cup milk
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon vanilla
3/4 cup packed brown sugar, divided
1 cup pecans, chopped
1/2 stick plus 1 teaspoon butter
2 cups fresh blueberries, rinsed and drained

Directions:

Butter a 9×13 baking dish. Cut 1 1/2 inch slices from the baguette and arrange in one layer in the dish (about 6-8 slices). Whisk together eggs, milk, nutmeg, vanilla, and 1/2 cup brown sugar in a large bowl and pour evenly over the bread. Refrigerate mixture, covered, until all liquid is absorbed by the bread, at least 8 hours and up to 1 day.

When you are ready to bake and serve, preheat oven to 350 F. Spread pecans evenly in a shallow baking pan and toast in middle of oven until fragrant, about 4 minutes. Toss pecans with 1 teaspoon butter. Alternately (and this is what I did), toast the pecans in a skillet in one layer over medium heat, stirring often. Toss with 1 teaspoon butter. (I did this the night before to save time the morning of.)

Sprinkle pecans and blueberries evenly over bread mixture. Cut remaining 1/2 stick butter into pieces and heat with remaining 1/4 cup brown sugar in a small saucepan, stirring, until butter is melted and sugar is dissolved. Drizzle butter mixture over bread and bake mixture

30 – 40 minutes or until any liquid from blueberries is bubbling.

Makes 6 generous servings.


If you love muffins with your Sunday Brunch, read more about this delicious recipe for The Acorn Market's Blueberry Muffins here.

Thanks for stopping by this morning! Enjoy...
 

1 comment:

  1. I have used this recipe for many years and absolutely love it! So perfect for a crowd as it can be prepared a head of time. I also have used canned apple pie mix rather than the blueberries and it is equally sensational.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving me a comment. Each one I receive is like a sweet little gift! I look forward to reading each one.