Monday, December 26, 2011

Sausage Apple Overnight Breakfast Cassarole, shared with fond Christmas memories...

 My life is filled with so many blessings, one of them being you! I've been blogging for a full year now and  have formed so many friendships along the way...all of which mean the world to me! Thank you all for your wonderful love and support you've shared with me throughout this past year.

It was a beautiful Christmas this year in our home... I hope yours was just as lovely! I didn't take any pictures,  we really wanted a low key, relaxing Christmas with family. Don't worry though, with our first born on the way in April,  I'm sure next Christmas our cameras will be OVERLOADED with pictures ready to share with everyone...by then she'll be 8 months old!! See how quickly time flies?

 This year we thought it would be nice to just relax and enjoy time with family instead of rushing around everywhere to get a million things done, that in the end don't really matter {especially when it comes time to spending time with your family}. We spent Christmas Eve at my mom's house {in honor of my grandmother} who passed away this year. With a full spread of home cookin' to snack on, we had such a great time sharing stories and our fondest memories of her throughout our lives.

What a blessing she was to our family!


 Memories of my grandmother Wilma's delicious home cookin' will always stay with me! She raised a family of some amazing cooks, let me tell you. So for Christmas this year I wanted to make a little homestyle breakfast casserole for my family at home and share the recipe with all my blog family here.

This recipe is so easy to make and the best part is you can make it the night before and just pop it in the oven the next morning when you get up...I love it!!  So, here's what I made...


Sausage Apple Overnight Breakfast Casserole

  • 1 pkg. Jimmy Dean® Maple Flavor Pork Sausage Roll
  • 6 cups bread cubed into ¾-inch pieces
  • 10 eggs
  • 3 cups milk
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 2 large granny smith apples, peeled and chopped
  • 2 tablespoons sugar
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided
  • maple syrup, if desired
  1. Brown sausage in a skillet until cooked; drain.
  2. In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, milk and vanilla until well blended.
  3. In another bowl, mix apples, sugar and cinnamon together until well coated.
  4. In a greased 9 x 13 inch baking dish,  place half of the breadcubes followed by half the sausage, half the apples, and and 1 cup of the cheese.  Repeat layers with remaining ingredients.
  5. Pour egg mixture over the layers making sure to evenly coat it all with the egg mixture.
  6. Place in fridge and refrigerate overnight.
  7. In the morning, remove the casserole from the fridge and preheat oven to 325 degrees.  Bake uncovered for 55-60 minutes or until knife inserted in center comes out clean. Cut into 6-8  pieces and served topped with a drizzle of maple syrup if desired.
Recipe adapted from: Real Mom Kitchen


Thank you for stopping by! I hope your Christmas and memories of Christmas past keep you cozy warm this week, sprinkled with lots of love and hugs! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for leaving me a comment. Each one I receive is like a sweet little gift! I look forward to reading each one.